DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - hope someone here knows how to install housewrap, flashing, and siding around this door opening to make sure it's properly protected from rain and wind. I've looked all over the internet and not found any good videos or posts.

This is what my rough opening looks like:

I'm planning to attach a 2x4 pressure treated stud on the left and right, recessed about 2-3 inches into the opening and then install a pre-hung door.

The top 1/3 of the rough opening is in wood framing so I'm planning to install wood sheathing, house wrap, flashing tape, and siding there according to Tyvek's instructions.

What do I do about the bottom 2/3s of the opening that sits against the concrete? I've had water damage and rain leakage issues there in the past because the prior installation was not done correctly, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Attachments

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
So if we accept the water will get in around the door we install them with a path for water to get out the bottom to the outside.

The question is, is the deck outside lower that where the door sit and is there a drain to take water away?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if we accept the water will get in around the door we install them with a path for water to get out the bottom to the outside.

The question is, is the deck outside lower that where the door sit and is there a drain to take water away?
Thanks for replying!

Yes there’s a concrete slab outside which sits about an inch lower than the rough opening threshold. And there is a drain out there that works properly.

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
Thanks for replying!

Yes there’s a concrete slab outside which sits about an inch lower than the rough opening threshold. And there is a drain out there that works properly.
We always frame it to the outside and do siding for a few inches over the concrete wall
This video shows a set back but notice his siding wall also wrap from the outside in to the frame to keep the water out of the pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it! And in terms of house wrap and flashing tape that goes under the siding? Would I just put something like StraightFlash to cover the pressure treated 2x4s and 2x6s, over lapping the tape a couple of inches onto the concrete?

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
How wide is the rough hole and what door width are you after?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rough hole is 36 inches wide. I’m hoping to put in a 32 inch wood door, which requires a 34 inch hole. Though I could potentially go with a narrower door if needed.

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
Rough hole is 36 inches wide. I’m hoping to put in a 32 inch wood door, which requires a 34 inch hole. Though I could potentially go with a narrower door if needed.
Can you post a picture to show how the area above the foundation is dressed for the opening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is a photo - the rough opening is temporarily covered with a plywood board currently.

Edit: Sorry about the 90 degree photo rotation. Not sure how to fix it. Top of door is on the left, bottom on the right.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts