DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are exposing some old milled wood studs , which is rough on the surface.

I would like to treat it with some kind of transparent layer to make them nicer to the touch and easier to clean.

What kind of product should I use? I am imagining a thick layer of hard glaze on these woods.

Something like
Rust-Oleum 264985 Specialty Clear Triple Thick Spray, Clear, 12-Ounce?

View attachment 673699

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
Are you going to leave them exposed for decoration? I am surprised none of the paint guys have responded. I don't paint. Being a naildriver, I love wood, and would do as little as possible to them just for their patina.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'm afraid that anything you put on them is going to ruin the look. Spraying or brushing them with any kind of clear coat is going to make them look glossy and unnatural.

My first thought is just a paste wax, like Johnson's paste wax, applied with a stiff bristle brush.

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
We used boiled linseed oil for our log home and it gave a little luster to it, so I am not sure I would do that to those pieces of wood.

·
retired painter
12,208 Posts
A satin poly would protect it without giving it a ton of sheen but there would still be some sheen. Oil base poly will deepen the coloring in the wood. Linseed oil cut in half with thinner shouldn't have much sheen, it will also deepen the colors naturally in the wood.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
If you want them to look exactly the way they are, I would go Thompson water seal. I would normally never recomend that, but it is inside.

Or... maybe a dead flat varnish. It will still change the look though. It will make them look wet. Anything you do will make them look wet. Modern Masters is what I usually use. Its waterbased, and found in paint stores. Its usually used to protect art paintings, or sometimes wallpaper. https://www.walmart.com/ip/VARNISH-...Cxu4FZ1QJ8EpVP0l95BoC8e4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its different from a regular poly in that its thinner, and designed to not stand out.

There are other brands out there, if you google dead flat varnish. MM is more expensive.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the insights.

I think I actually don't need to keep the exact look. My feeling is if I can add a transparent layer so they look more or less the same but they become smooth, for practical reasons.

I was kinda looking for a thick enough clear smooth layer....

But shiny top layer will make them look strange? If they stay rough, it will catch on clothes and catch all the dust..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts