DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
11,730 Posts

·
Stairguy
737 Posts
Just for the record, and as Keith has already mentioned, local code around here for rise max is 8-1/4". I have built many stairs at this max, not by choice but by framing restrictions, and I must say an 8" rise is not as bad as many people would think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is a pic mockup of what I'm planning on doing for the landing transition.

I have a couple more questions on my stair treads I plan to glue and nail (ring-shank) both the treads and the risers to the stringers.

1. Stair treads and risers how tight to the skirt board should the treads and risers be? If they are suppose to be tight I'll glue and nail them too. I'm worried that if the treads and risers are tight with the skirt board there maybe flexing that will separate the skirt board from the drywall.

2. Should I put drywall corner bead on before I do the final install of the skirt boards?

Attachments

·
Stairguy
737 Posts
I usually use a liquid nail behind that skirt board and then nail it. The risers and treads should be tight, but dont force hem in too tight or it might create gaps on the previous step.

That corner, where the upper stair comes around the corner is going to give you trouble. There should be a small triangle shaped piece on the upper stringer so hat you can level off before you make the corner. On the lower section, I usually will come down plumb instead of making that 45 angle cut. You also need to give yourself more level surface wrapping That second corner. You just need more room to make your cuts.

I always corner bead first, if you don't, the mud might compromise your reveals

21 - 30 of 30 Posts