·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
1. maximum riser height should be no more then 8'', appears you are more.
2. 5/8'' drywall needs to be attached to the bottom of the stairs for fireproofing.
3. Minimum 4 inches from the bottom of the stringer to where the intersection of your tread/riser intersect.(looks very close on this one)
4. Every riser must be consistent within 3/8 of an inch.(looks very close on the bottom step)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. maximum riser height should be no more then 8'', appears you are more.
2. 5/8'' drywall needs to be attached to the bottom of the stairs for fireproofing.
3. Minimum 4 inches from the bottom of the stringer to where the intersection of your tread/riser intersect.(looks very close on this one)
4. Every riser must be consistent within 3/8 of an inch.(looks very close on the bottom step)
8"
hadn't thought of sheetrock there
5" stringers are 2x12
yes

Do you have any advice on question which is what I'm concerned about?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had pretty much this same problem, I couldnt think of anything so just put baseboard and ended at the wall. does not look good. maybe u could skip the cap and paint the skirt white along with the staircase walls and caulk the 2 for a smooth transition

·
recently retired
273 Posts
For the base where the wall continues you just have the bisect the angle. For the one which has to turn the corner without being able to transition to level first you need a different profile base, here is a link- http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/09/10/raked-baseboard-returns/.

It does appear that you have some code issues however there is no code requirement for sheetrock under stairs in the IRC.

·
recently retired
273 Posts
While I feel that drywall is a good idea, I don't see where any code is referenced. At the Stair Manufactures Association conference a couple of months ago I asked David Cooper who helps write the codes for the IRC if there is any requirement and was told at that time that no such code exists. Fire blocking in walls is a code requirement.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Okay, I apologize for my ignorance then. Every set of interior stairs I've ever installed or built, my teacher would direct me to install 2x4's the length of the stairs and install 5/8'' sheetrock. If indeed it isn't a code I guess they give you the choice to protect your family and give yourself a little more time to escape in case of fire in the basement. I learn something new every day. As far as your stairs.. When you do sell the home, I hope you don't get a semi-sharp inspector that does see that your risers are too high. What are you using for a toe kick on the risers being that your installing carpet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the base where the wall continues you just have the bisect the angle. For the one which has to turn the corner without being able to transition to level first you need a different profile base, here is a link- http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/09/10/raked-baseboard-returns/.

It does appear that you have some code issues however there is no code requirement for sheetrock under stairs in the IRC.
Keith, are you talking about the same code items that CopperClad mention or others?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I apologize for my ignorance then. Every set of interior stairs I've ever installed or built, my teacher would direct me to install 2x4's the length of the stairs and install 5/8'' sheetrock. If indeed it isn't a code I guess they give you the choice to protect your family and give yourself a little more time to escape in case of fire in the basement. I learn something new every day. As far as your stairs.. When you do sell the home, I hope you don't get a semi-sharp inspector that does see that your risers are too high. What are you using for a toe kick on the risers being that your installing carpet?
I was planning to use 3/4" plywood glued and nailed (ring Shank). I like the sheetrock idea. I think I can still get it in there. The risers are 8" why is that to high since you said 8" was max?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts