DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am attempting to install a Gerber Maxwell wall hung toilet onto a Zurn carrier. I have to cut the large round pipe shown in the photo so that only about 1/8" protrudes from the finished wall, which will only leave about 1/4" past the threads. There is not much margin for error. I have removed the pipe and thought I would cut it with my chop saw, but I now realize that I won't be able to tighten it when I put it back in. The cut has to be nice and smooth and straight, as the pipe makes contact with a rubber seal on the back of the toilet.

Can someone tell me how to cut the pipe while in the carrier?
Or, is there a way to tighten the pipe after I cut it?

Thanks Very Much,
Russell

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
have you something that is 1/8 thick that you could cut a hole to fit the pipe, put it on like a big washer and use a multi saw to cut the pipe.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Neal. That is a good idea. A piece of luan, perhaps. I think Luan is 1/4", though. Maybe I could use an 1/8" piece of metal and move it as I cut. I will put a good mark all the way around, so as to keep me on target. The bottom of the pipe will be the difficult part. Maybe I can do the bottom with a hack-saw blade.

Thanks Again,
Russell

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
I have done these 2 different ways-
1. Precut to length before screwing in with a porta-band or sawzall. Then use two pairs of channel lock pliers on opposing sides to tighten. You need to enlarge the hole slightly- the toilet will cover anything between the bolt pattern.
2. Use a male adapter into the carrier and glue in a piece of 4" to make the proper length needed. (verify the pipe OD matches your gasket.
Also, make sure the washers are slightly outside of the wall

Edit- is your baseboard too tall?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Eplumber. If I understand correctly, I could do away with the supplied fitting and make my own out of 4" schedule 40. Is that correct?

The instructions say that the toilet should sit 1/16" off of the finished wall.

And yes, the toilet did hit the baseboard. I scarfed a bit of the baseboard away, so it is now clear.

Thanks,
Russell

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using schedule 40 will not work. The carrier is only an inch from the finished wall and I won't have room for the fitting. Lots of food for thought, though.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got it. I tried my oscillating saw, my sawzall, my palm sander, rasps and files and hacksaw without good results. I was standing around scratching my head when I spied my small Bosch router. I used an old piece of 3/4" Melamine, drilled the stud holes and the 4" hole and bolted it to the wall. I set my router depth to 5/8" and buzzed around the plastic pipe. What a relief.

I have spent so much time on that toilet. I am soooo glad it is over.

Thanks Again For The Help!!
Russell

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I said it was over, but what I meant was that the worst of it is over. The bowl is in final position. I haven't installed the tank, as I am waiting for a bidet seat to arrive. The seat comes with two hoses and a two-way compression type shutoff valve.

My Moen faucet sink drain has holes in it for an overflow sink, which I don't have, so I had to order a different drain. I hope to have it today.

Thanks Again for Looking,
Russell

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts