DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum but am very eager to learn from the experts on here.

SETUP: I have a deck with solid foundation (built to eventually host a cabin), which I am now looking to start building my off grid cabin on. The deck is 12x30, with piers every six feet on the perimeter and inside. I will be building the cabin on an area 12x18.

The support posts coming up from the piers are pressure treated 4x4s. On the long faces, pressure treated 4x6s run horizontal on top of the 4x4s connecting them to each other. On top of the 4x6s, the decks end and there is a rim joist and then deck boards on top. (I will attach pictures).

PROBLEM: A 4x6 that I want to support one of the corners of the cabin seems to have bent over the years (pictured below, deck is about 6 years old). It's outer bottom edge has slightly buckled and its top tilts out a bit. The inside portion of it doesn't meet the 4x4. There is checking in the bottom and exterior. Do I have to replace that 4x6??

Other possible solutions:
1) move in the corner of the cabin 1"x1" to put even pressure on the 4x6.
2) Attach a 4x6 from the original 4x6, anchoring to the center support post
3) Frame 2x4s underneath, add an additional 2x6 next to the rim joist to support the cabin weight and it will balance itself out
4) put a reinforcing 4x4 close to the 4x4 support beam to pickup the sag.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,136 Posts
That was built with wet PT, and has settled a bit. Normal.

Who built that, a drunk, one eyed, total newbie?

Sorry if you were the builder, but those nails are poorly driven, and for what it's worth, should have used screws of some type instead of nails.

The nails need to be removed and replaced with adequate length construction screws, they will hold better, and not work loose over time and your structure fail.

ED

·
retired framer
59,810 Posts
They come wet and often twist and warp during the dry out period of the first year.
I doubt it will get any worse but I would check the crown. If it is crown down then I would change it out for a good one. We would like to see 6x6 posts especially the ones supporting the cabin.
It is always a good idea to add flat straps to the joins to each other and to the posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies!

de-nagorg- I was not the original builder, but I appreciate the advice on the settling and the screws.

Neal-I will check the crown, thank you. And the flat straps look like it would help the situation a bit.

I hear what you're saying about 6x6s. However, now that there are already 4x4 posts in the ground, is there any way to beef them up?

·
retired framer
59,810 Posts
Thank you for the replies!

de-nagorg- I was not the original builder, but I appreciate the advice on the settling and the screws.

Neal-I will check the crown, thank you. And the flat straps look like it would help the situation a bit.

I hear what you're saying about 6x6s. However, now that there are already 4x4 posts in the ground, is there any way to beef them up?
You can counter any bending by just adding more to them like a 2x4 and 2x6 would make it 5 1/2 x 5 1/2
Are you planning on raising the cabin floor above the deck?

·
retired framer
59,810 Posts
Thank you for the advice on adding the 2x4 and 2x6s. It will be complicated because it is resting in the center of a 6"x6" concrete pier block pictured below...

My plan is to take off all the deck boards and put subfloor onto the joists and go from there.
You cut bring the other lumber down to where is sits on the edge of the concrete. Not sure the 4x4s won't work but today 4x4s just fence posts anything else should be 6x6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.