DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the old casings and want to install new half inch casings.
1st problem is the frames are not even. On one frame the casing is even with the door frame at top and bottom but the middle of the door frame is out about 3/16.
Behind the door frame are wedges and 2 nails near the top and 2 nails near the bottom. Where the frame is bulging out do I remove the wedge and put a thinner wedge and use screws or nails to suck it in?

2nd problem is one of the frames at the top left corner is off and leaning to the right a little preventing the door from closing. Do I again take the wedges out and use a 2x4 and try to hammer the frame back in place?

Can I use screws for the door frames if I pre drill? Right now the is only 2 nails near top and 2 nails near top and I don't think it's enough support? I have not done this so I am not sure :/

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I took off the old casings and want to install new half inch casings.
1st problem is the frames are not even. On one frame the casing is even with the door frame at top and bottom but the middle of the door frame is out about 3/16.
Behind the door frame are wedges and 2 nails near the top and 2 nails near the bottom. Where the frame is bulging out do I remove the wedge and put a thinner wedge and use screws or nails to suck it in?

2nd problem is one of the frames at the top left corner is off and leaning to the right a little preventing the door from closing. Do I again take the wedges out and use a 2x4 and try to hammer the frame back in place?

Can I use screws for the door frames if I pre drill? Right now the is only 2 nails near top and 2 nails near top and I don't think it's enough support? I have not done this so I am not sure :/
Are the new casings 1/2"wide, thick or long? It doesn't really matter, just curious.
If the door doesn't close properly, you would address that issue first. Does the edge of the door rub against the frame?
Is this an old door with muliple coats of paint on it?
Is the door out of square? Is that what you mean by, "leaning to the right"?
Just realize, once you start tweaking and hammering, you could make it worse. Sometimes it's better to just remove the frame from the opening and rehang the door.
I don't know if you're at that stage with the door, but if you start and things don't go well, just rehang it.
Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The casings are 2.5" wide and 1/2 thick. The door is right against the casing and where the door cannot be shut is because the door frame is not straight. I haven't started playing with the door frame yet. Just have the casings off and the doors off.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The casings are 2.5" wide and 1/2 thick. The door is right against the casing and where the door cannot be shut is because the door frame is not straight. I haven't started playing with the door frame yet. Just have the casings off and the doors off.
Set the hinge side of the door first. Put the door back in the opening for the rest of the adjustments.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts