DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to stop smoke coming up through the floor?

5012 10
I recently moved into a first floor council flat. I've noticed a smell of smoke especially in the bedroom from the day I moved in.

I wonder if there is a way I could stop this bad air coming up into my room. Its all bare floorboards throughout the flat. In the bedroom I can see two small holes around the base of the radiator where it goes into the floor. Could the smokey air be coming from there?

Is there a filler I could use between the floorboards and around the radiator to try and stop this problem?

Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
By smoke, do you mean a cigarette smoke smell or like something is burning kind of smoke? Is there an apartment below you where someone smokes?

Like Ron mentioned, I would try and find out where it's coming from and what's causing it first. That may give you clues how to correct it as well.

· Registered
262 Posts
Thought that might be what it was....

I would call the apartment manager and let them know about the problem. I wouldn't attempt any "fixes" myself, for fear of losing your security deposit. I would insist that they take care of it or move you into another apartment.

But, that's just IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, Just my $0.02 and all that.

· Registered
15,854 Posts
I'd be looking for another flat--the floors and walls between flats have to be fire rated, which yours clearly aren't, since there's air movement occurring between flats.
It's been reported that air leaks through the rubber of our car tires so how in hell you gonna stop air from moving from a lower floor to the floor above with a fire code?:biggrin2:

· Registered
290 Posts
It's been reported that air leaks through the rubber of our car tires so how in hell you gonna stop air from moving from a lower floor to the floor above with a fire code?:biggrin2:
I was inferring that there must be holes, or large cracks, or penetrations (eg recessed lights) that allow significant air movement between floors, and that would also violate fire codes. Smoke particles would not pass through a fire rated floor/ceiling system, that is in good condition, in sufficient amounts to be noticeable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.