DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to stop my outdoor spigot from rotating at the pipe when I'm opening and closing it? Due to renovations, I've connected the copper pipe to pex via a Sharkbite connection, which has obviously lessened the stability of the pipe. I've attached a copper-plated bell hanger on the inside, but the pipe just twists inside, no matter how much I tighten the hanger. Pictures/Videos attached to demonstrate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0ghF8zSuX-Tng2ME90Z3hVUDA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0ghF8zSuX-SGUxRjJEa1pzbTg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Use a proper sill cock that has holes to secure with tapcons to the masonry block.

This is a frostproof with built in vacuum breaker. Note the 2 fastener places.

Inside just use a female thread to pex adaptor.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Use a proper sill cock that has holes to secure with tapcons to the masonry block.

This is a frostproof with built in vacuum breaker. Note the 2 fastener places.

Inside just use a female thread to pex adaptor.
Agree with above since you are in a freeze area.
But they are a little more but I would get the Prier brand sill cocks. They even have a 1/4 turn model. Besides much better built they have a larger flange that makes it easier to anchor.
If you insist on a non freeze proof one they have those also.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Tack a piece of 2x4 to the stud next to the Sharkbite. Then attach the bell hanger to the vertical pipe below the Sharkbite.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The American Valve version of that sillcock doesn't seem to get great reviews. Many people report they leak within 4 years. And the Prier or Woodford versions don't seem to be readily available in Canada.

I'm hesitant to install that style with the long stem. I'm planning on finishing the wall in the basement behind this outdoor faucet, and it looks like if I ever needed to replace that sillcock I would have to cut into the drywall to switch it out at the thread-to-pex connection inside the house? Would a spigot with a flange that can be replaced from outside the house be a better idea in this situation?

Regardless I will definitely move the bell hanger to the vertical portion of the pipe as that is definitely a better solution than the horizontal portion in terms of stopping the rotation of the pipe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And a related followup question. I also need to put a spigot with a flange in the garage. How do I remove the current spigot, when there is no where to put the back wrench? The copper pipe appears to be soldered to a male thread, so it's all circular and I have nothing to anchor that back wrench on. I'm just hoping to unthread the current spigot and then thread on the new one with the flange, without having to sweat anything, as I don't have any tools for that. Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
That hose bib is the type that can be soldered onto a copper pipe (as yours is) or it can be screwed into a female fitting. Yours is soldered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right, the hose bib is definitely soldered on. So the only way to replace the hose bib without sweating copper is to use another Sharkbite fitting, which I'd prefer not to do.

Because I'm finishing the wall behind this faucet, and don't really want to put an access panel there, I'd like to future-proof the plumbing in the backyard so that new hose bibs can always be changed from the outside.

1) Is there a way to install the frost-free wall faucets such that they can be fixed & replaced without access from inside the house?
2) Can I just run pex through the brick to a non-frost-free hose bib or is there code related to pex-through-brick (in the same way you shouldn't run gas flex-line through brick)?

I have a shut-off valve for this outside line in a utility room, and have managed to remember to turn it off every winter for the past 9 years since moving in and have not had issues with the current bib freezing up.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
If you can rigidly mount some type of drop ear to thread the spigot into, then changing in the future from out side is possible. They come in several shapes and sizes.
Here is a typical one used with pex.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts