DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Up here in western Michigan.

My house has a small Entrance Way, right off the living room. This Entrance way faces north and it's west wall is exposed to the wind. The Entrance Way outer walls are wood siding with old plaster inside, all on top of a slab of concrete. The living room outer walls are concrete block with old plaster walls inside.

Our first winter here, that Entrance way was always cold and breezy, you can feel the cold air coming in from down below on that west wall, under the baseboard inside. I'm guessing there is no insulation or caulking where the outer wood wall meets the slab below. So wind is just coming right between it.

Don't want to take all that wood off to see how the wall is sitting on the concrete slab below. Too much work and could damage what is there. It's old.

For JUST the winter season, the Entrance Way's west wall... I'm thinking of just putting some 6 Mil Plastic Sheeting and laying it on the ground about a foot before the outer wall and then going up the outer wall about two feet high off the ground. Then I'll lay some sandbags on it and up against the sheeting touching the house. Secure it all. A wind barrier, keep the wind from getting under those outer walls and into the house.

I probably could get some flashing to put up under one of the wood siding rows, then mount the sheeting under that, keep the moisture out.

Welcome any thoughts, concerns, suggestions, or other ideas. Thanks.

1st pic shows the small Entrance way off the living room, flag on it. That's the west wall.
2nd pic. West outer wall of the Entrance way, wood siding. Thinking of putting plastic sheeting running up this wall and down to the ground. Block the wind.
3rd pic. NW corner of the Entrance way, showing the slab under the outer wood wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
is the wall structure framing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts