DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to DIY-ing pavers and have an intriguing problem for experts. First, I don't think I have dug enough to account for 4" of base + 1-2" sand + 1.5" paver. Uploaded a picture. Thoughts?

Second, I'm not sure how to slope the dirt/base. Obviously want to slope it down and out with the existing grading of the ground so that water drains to our swale, but the pavers will be adjacent to an existing patio where the concrete slopes in the opposite direction. The issue lies where the patio and pavers meet. Picture also attached.

Open to any suggestions and thanks in advance.

(p.s. live down in Texas gulf where the dirt is extremely clay after a foot)

Plant Natural landscape Cloud Vegetation Land lot

Property Plant Vegetation Land lot Grass

Organism Yellow Asphalt Font Adaptation

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you expecting the paver surface to be flush (or close) to the top of the column footings? Or are you wanting those to project a few inches proud of the pavers?
Hi - thanks for inquiring. We need about 2 inches between the column footing and pavers so the footings will be raised slightly.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,712 Posts
Dig more, the water drainage for the gravel base and sand bed is muy importante. The clay subbase can be sloped slightly.
Verify the weep hole distance is from grade (soil) vs a hardscape.
The question about the post footing poking through/flush is a good one that maybe wasn't thought about ahead of time. Also, if digging deeper it looks like you will undercut them.
I would flush the pavers to the porch slab, then at the wall level it off. All of it sloped down towards the fence (so you will have a simultaneous 2-way slope at the portion next to the porch slab).

·
retired framer
53,710 Posts
Maybe some measurement.
Distance between A and B
Distance between B and C.
If A is the high spot how much lower are
B?
C?
D?
Plant Road surface Grass Asphalt Groundcover

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
You want at least 4" of stone and an inch of sand under your pavers, which are probably about 2" thick, so you need the subgrade to be at least 9" below the top of your footings. Are the footings all the same elevation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want at least 4" of stone and an inch of sand under your pavers, which are probably about 2" thick, so you need the subgrade to be at least 9" below the top of your footings. Are the footings all the same elevation?
Thank you. Yes footings are all the same elevation. Out of curiosity, I turned to a few contractors. For the base, they all use 5" of portland cement (type 1/2) mixed with sand - compacted well. I was quoted 11 bags of portland cement mixed with 2 tons of sand. I kind of found that strange, but received 2 such methods from 2 different contractors - contrary to what I could find online. Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts