DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help with soffit lighting drawing? I am supposed to hand in drawing to electrician for soffits. I am not sure it should show it on plan with wiring or on elevation. help please

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
can anyone help with soffit lighting drawing? I am supposed to hand in drawing to electrician for soffits. I am not sure it should show it on plan with wiring or on elevation. help please
You can show it in the plans and elevation as well just make sure you make a note very clear on that so they don't get it confused.

Most case I have the customers give me drawing and they do make a note when they want a luminaire under the soffit and the type and the mode of switching if used by wall switch or on motion sensor if latter this part you have to make sure you leave extra conductor in NM cable typically XX-3 is most common so the red one is traveller or other in case one motion sensor actived up then it can send a signal or run power thru the red conductor to the other motion sensor unit.

Just make sure that is compable with mulit motion sensor ( not all are rated for that )

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how many lights connect to a switch?

Thanks, it was really helpful. Just another quick question, with 3w or 5w mini led lights; how many lights can connect to one switch and where in the house are these switches usually placed? Thanx

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Thanks, it was really helpful. Just another quick question, with 3w or 5w mini led lights; how many lights can connect to one switch and where in the house are these switches usually placed? Thanx
As many you want but with common 15 amp circuit you can load it up much as 1800 watts however it depending on what is on that circuit.

But there is a major gotcha here if you use any type of luminaire what we do is sized by the max wattage of the luminaire it will take so., A example let say double floodlight luminaire which we know they can take up to 300 watts ( up to 150 watts each ) so we can able use many as 6 double floodlight ( 1800 watts ) or a recessed can luminaire which they can be rated much as either 75 or 150 watts depending on the model it can go many as 12 cans per circuit.

So that is a example if you have let say 6 recessed cans and they are rated for 120 watts that is 720 watts and still have plenty leftover for 15 amp circuit even thru I know you will use the LED lamps but by NEC code we do have to follow the manufacter max wattage rating and what happend is that when you move for example the next owner may not like the LED and want to change to indentscent they can do that without overloading the circuit.

That something we have to do properly without overloading it.

For the switches typically most case it can be either by front door or back door depending on what you want the luminaires are be controled so you can have one switch for front half and the other switch on back half of the house or you can have two three way switches to control the whole thing or use the motion sensor to control the few luminaires or whole thing it is up to you how you want to be used.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts