DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan to set up a maglock for my sliding glass door.
without any power, the maglock auto releases so i can exit or enter.
so do i need to wire the maglock to the fire alarm system to be compliant with the building code or something? if so, how?
if there is still any power, i can always push the Exit button to exit. so i dont think a maglock needs to be wired to the fire alarm system.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I don't know whether or not codes specifically address mag locks in residential yet, but in commercial, maglocks must be connected thru the fire alarm or sprinkler system (if present).

If you are talking about smoke alarms, I know of no way to connect to them. However, if you are talking about a fire alarm system that supplies low voltage power to system smoke detectors, i would say yes, the mag lock must be fire dropped.

A "fire drop" is a relay wired fail-safe with at least one set of Normally Open contacts. The relay is usually powered from the fire alarm panel with that power removed on alarm. Anything that happens, power loss, broken/disconnected wire, etc, results in the safe condition. The maglock power is wired through the N.O. relay contacts. If the fire alarm panel goes into alarm or fails, the relay "drops out", removing power to the maglock.

Remember that the normal state of any relay or switch is with no external forces acting upon it. External force could be power (on a relay), magnetic field (magnetic switch), pressure (push-button switch), etc. We may think of something as being normal with an external force, but that is not the electrical definition.

Reactions: SW Dweller

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after watching this video, i understand everything
everything is connected via serial, the more components added in, the more they are connected in series. so at any point a component get disconnected, power stops flowing and the maglock releases. simple.
even adding one of these lever is another component lined up in a series.
Motor vehicle Fire alarm system Automotive lighting Font Compact cassette

thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yes everything used would be wired in series with maglock power: access control system, exit button, No Prior Knowledge device (all must be fail-safe) and fire drop remove power to the mag lock. The NPK device has to release the door with no overt action by the user, so most people don't realize they're there. Special motion detectors or touch-sensitive bars are often used for NPK.

Oh, By The Way! Conventional fire alarm systems require a short across the circuit for an alarm, so all activating device switches are open when not activated. Some pull stations use a Normally Open pushbutton switch that gets pressed when the pull is activated. Others may use a Normally Closed pushbutton switch that is pressed when normal and then released when the pull is activated. Even addressable systems use the same types of input to the address module.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes everything used would be wired in series with maglock power: access control system, exit button, No Prior Knowledge device (all must be fail-safe) and fire drop remove power to the mag lock.
i am practicing my house to install for a friend's restaurant...
anyway, if he wants a electric door strike, i assume everything would be connected via parallel. by default, without any power, the door strike is locked. to open the door, power is provided so the strike lever can move for someone to open the door. therefore, all connected components are installed via parallel, correct?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Check local codes to see whether or not a mag lock is allowed in that occupancy. NPK device is required, as is an exit button within 5' of the door that unlocks the door for 15 or 30 seconds (check local codes). Buy an exit button since sinage must meet certain requirements. If they have a sprinkler system or fire alarm system, the maglock must be firedropped. Also make sure you aren't doing work that requires a license (could get you and the business owner in trouble).

Electric strikes are available as Fail Safe or Fail Secure. Some are field selectable. Wire a Fail Safe strike in Series like a maglock; Wire a Fail Secure strike in Parallel.

Since maglock installations in a commercial installation must meet Life Safery requirements, I strongly recommend using an electric strike. I've seen businesses shut down until maglock issues were corrected and the installation was reinspected.

·
Maintenance / Locksmith
412 Posts
If a mag lock is to be installed in a commercial / industrial scenario then you will need to contact the AHJ and/or Fire Marshall for their approval. In my area most AHJ will not approve mag locks. Protect yourself as there is a lot of liability involved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts