DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a slopped roof with two layers of EPDM, the second has a granule/gravely texture.

I'm installing a composite deck on tapered sleepers (cut from 2 x TBD to compensate the roof slope) and I want to ensure I separate the cut side at the bottom from the membrane/rubber to avoid abrasion or tearing of any sort.

I read around a bit and many people recommended scraps of EPDM which I unfortunately don't have.

I also read about the TKO Therm insulation as an option which seems the most viable one so far.

Does any one have any suggestions of any other potential products I could use? Ideally I'd prefer to keep the depth to a minimum while still protecting the roof surface.

Much appreciated.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,172 Posts
As you said, strips of EPDM at least 1"-2" wider each side of the sleeper adhered to the EPDM is recommended by manufacturers as a separator sheet to protect the roof. That accounts for movement of the sleepers.

They make sleeper pads, 1/4" thick is the best protection, but they are very pricey and not very long. You could use EPDM seam tape, which should be about 35mils thick. Your granule layer though will not take typical self-adhered strips, so you'd have to use Eternabond, which has a product specifically for adhering to granulated surfaces. I believe its Eternabond RoofSeal Plus and is 60 or 65mils. Have to prime clean the surface first.

What I think most deck builders prefer is to just apply joist tape to the underside of the sleepers, technically same thing as the manufacturer's way because if the sleeper moves the protection goes with it. And, if you ever redo a section of deck you never have to worry about positioning sleepers exactly onto the roof strip locations. Just make sure that the tape is NOT bitumen tape which would be the cheaper stuff. It needs to be butyl tape, so the better stuff like Trex joist tape. I think they run about 20mils thick but shouldn't be a problem with a residential deck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello 3onthetree, thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Your recommendations align with some of the reading I've been doing but I think by far the best option will be the joist tape to account for any joist displacement in the future. Great advice. I had looked at the Trex product fortunately so I'll go with that.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi there, I have a slopped roof with two layers of EPDM, the second has a granule/gravely texture.

I'm installing a composite deck on tapered sleepers (cut from 2 x TBD to compensate the roof slope) and I want to ensure I separate the cut side at the bottom from the membrane/rubber to avoid abrasion or tearing of any sort.

I read around a bit and many people recommended scraps of EPDM which I unfortunately don't have.

I also read about the TKO Therm insulation as an option which seems the most viable one so far.

Does any one have any suggestions of any other potential products I could use? Ideally I'd prefer to keep the depth to a minimum while still protecting the roof surface.

Much appreciated.
If it has a "gravely" texture, it's not EDPM (rubber) Sounds like a granule covered self stick (or torch down) system. EDPM is like an inner tube in texture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi roofermann, that is correct. there is one layer of EPDM at the bottom and the granule covered layer was torched on top. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I'm looking to use the EternaBond and EternaPrime in combination with joist tape at the bottom of the sleeper (top as well). It may be overkill but if the materials are not too expensive I'd rather do it right once.

Unfortunately I can't find a lot of stock of the Eterna products in Toronto so I may have to find alternatives.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Can't help you with material availability in Toronto, but call around to some roofing supply places (not big box stores) and explain your issue, they should be able to either supply an alternative or at least steer you in the right direction. Assuming nobody here comes up with a good solve for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi there, yeah I spoke with a few. One recommended the IKOTherm insulation to use as a barrier but they didn't specify how to adhere/secure it to the granule surface.

I see there's a Firestone butyl strip available but I'm back to square one on how to prime and glue it properly.

I wonder if no glue is an option? I just don't want to learn the hard way :)

Thank you for your responses.

edit: Would you guys ever consider Trex's butyl tape over the granule? my feeling is it won't stick but wanted to get your thoughts.
TY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.