DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our house was flooded in hurricane Harvey. When we had volunteers demoing our house, most of these brackets that were in the mortar of the brick wall and fastened to the back of the studs, were removed. When the house was being constructed in 1978 these brackets were used every four feet and each time they were used they were used three times on each stud.
How do we secure the brick wall back to these studs or at least to the frame?
Thank you!

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,795 Posts
Ayuh,.... So which was demo'ed, the framin', or the brickwork,..??

Which side needs replacin',..??

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You can use this product.
Blok-Lok.
Use the Spira-Lok to reattach the brick to the studs.
You will need a hammer drill & Setting tool.
You will need to locate the studs from the exterior side of the house.
If the interior has not been finished they could be installed from the interior side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I say demo I mean that we mocked out our house. The mucking out process is the removal of all belongings soaked sheetrock insulation, flooring, and the vapor barrier backer board. The only thing that is left in our house is the studs and the brick wall on the outside. What I was asking is how to refasten the studs to the masonry because all of the corrugated brackets have been removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! We will definitely look into that product:) my friend was concerned with drilling through the studs, making them weaker. Is this something to be concerned about? Should we consider adding a 4 by 4 post every 4 to 6 feet and fasten that to the masonry?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It should not be a problem drilling the studs but do check with the Blok-Lok company or a local structural Engineer to make sure you use the correct size Spira-Lok I have use many of these spira-loks very easy to install.

·
Super Moderator
21,374 Posts
I'm confused. How/why did they remove the brackets from the bricks? Shouldn't the brackets still be sticking out of the bricks to refasten to the studs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts