DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a replacement bathroom fan which is just below the unfinished attic, which is accessible. The existing ducting is all 4" flex duct, which goes almost straight up starting at the fan exhaust port to the roof exhaust. The fan instructions say it's better for a number of reasons that the first two feet of duct starting from the fan exhaust port should be horizontal, straight, and rigid metal duct, so that's what I plan to do. The duct will be parallel to the two floor joists that it will run between. From there, I plan to attach a long radius 90 metal elbow which will end up pointing towards the roof, and from there what's left of the existing flex duct will be attached.

I want to add support to the straight metal section just before the elbow, to support it but also to prevent vibration. I was thinking of using either a telescoping bracket or metal hanger strap between the two joists, screwed to the inside of the joists and to the duct. Does this sound like a good way to support the rigid duct, or is there a better way? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.