DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to secure a temporary wall with door to tile floor - double sided tape ok?

1720 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Bud9051
Hi, I'd like to build a temporary wall with a door, over tile floor, in order to essentially create an attached guest house in our home by sealing off one room from the rest of the home, but will still have it's own bathroom and entrance from the side door already there. I say temporary wall because we will eventually want to take it down either in 6mos to a year, if/when we sell the home or whatnot, so dont want alot of damage. With that said, I will of course attach the studs to the ceiling joist and current wall studs, but as far as the bottom plate, I didnt want to drill through the tile so was contemplating using very strong double sided tape to keep the bottom plate in place on the tile. Does that sound like it would hold, considering there will be a door it must support? Not sure how tape would stick to tile long term with potential moisture considerations? How long do you expect to hold? Any tape recommendations -brands, foam backed or not, etc?

I was considering a strong glue but didnt want to deal with a potentially difficult time removing the glue later. Tape just sounded so much easier.

I understand I could potentially drill some parts of the bottom plate through the grout in the title, but am aiming for least amount of damage / work possible that was enough to get the job done.

Any other potential solutions?
Thanks in advance for responding.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Naildriver
23,379 Posts
You don't want the wall to move in the interim. Use a good adhesive like FuzeIt, and avoid putting the adhesive in the grout lines. Dabs on the tile themselves is fine. Wall won't move. In fact, I'd be surprised if, when you did remove it, that the wood wouldn't rip and stick to the glue. It will come up with a razor knife and MEK or Thinner.

· Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I did the same thing for a "temporary" room in my daughter's garage - on a concrete floor.
there is another thread here for a very similar project you may want to follow.

· Registered
14,584 Posts
You don't want the wall to move in the interim. Use a good adhesive like FuzeIt, and avoid putting the adhesive in the grout lines. Dabs on the tile themselves is fine. Wall won't move. In fact, I'd be surprised if, when you did remove it, that the wood wouldn't rip and stick to the glue. It will come up with a razor knife and MEK or Thinner.
Depending what the floor tile is, I would not use adhesive. If the tile is asbestos tile, it'll just cause headaches down the line when it comes time to remove the wall.

If the intended wall is as I'm thinking—framing and drywall—nothing more than sill gasket on the bottom and solid anchoring to adjacent walls and ceiling should be plenty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.