DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be digging out a window well which has been leaking a little. I plan on grinding out a reverse V and patching it on the inside, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventative methods I could do on the outside....

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
You are on the right track, dig out the crack, patch with hydraulic cement or similat. Then cover with a fiberglass mesh and a a base of something that does not fully harden, breathes with the wall. like silicone caulk, but not silicone caulk. Urethane caulk or similar would be better.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Not sure what you are going to do but you say you are going to "dig out a window well" so it appears to me that if you're going to the trouble of doing that, then you might as well check on the weeping system while you're there and waterproof the wall at the same time. This should obviate the need for the treatment from the inside - but it can't hurt either.

If you can, go down as far as the french drain/weeping system and attach to it a vertical drain to a height about 6" lower than the window sill. Waterproof the wall below grade, place a steel corrugated well wall around it and backfill that with crushed stone.

Somethingalong those lines...you may not be able - to but that's what I glean from someone who says "he has a leak around a window well and is going to dig it out..."

Reactions: MBatson

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - I wasn't terrible clear:
There is an existing metal one that is shot. The foundation is also cracked underneath it and leaking... I was thinking of going with plastic/composite, as I think it would last longer and not rot, like the metal one just did....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That's fine - whatever your code calls for, for the depth of the window. Be liberal with the trowel-on black stuff and use a dimpled membrane, power-nailed and glued onto the foundation wall.

That's = a patch - as some of the other guys will confirm; it may remove the problem, may not. But it's a good step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts