DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a waterline running along the floor at the bottom edge of my house. This line is for an outdoor faucet with the spout about 12" from the ground. Over time the screws pulled out of the drywall and the line slowly bent away from the house.

I do not have any leaks but the faucet head is probably 6" away from the house and I am concerned it's ready to break at the elbow.

How do I safely return the line to vertical? I thought about using a propane torch to heat the elbow, however assume this will soften the solder and create a leak? Should I just force it back into position and secure it to the house?

Thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator
8,658 Posts
No heat, not needed. Can you safely secure it back to where it was?? 6 inches isn't bad, most pipe has play in it. may have to dig it out a little. see if a stone lodged in there. Post a picture. Thank you.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has rotated a bit, yes, however the second photo shows how it bent away from the corner.

This Red line shows how it used to be vertical. I just had the house painted and they repaired the broken drywall where it originally screwed into.

The elbow looks like it's a 45, but was originally 90 degree bend :vs_whistle:

Attachments

· Super Moderator
8,658 Posts
You could use a sharkbyte coupling no need for any soldering.

However, I agree with the simplest and quickest solution, as mentioned, just push it back and reattach it using the proper anchors.

· Registered
9,417 Posts
Well, you may have to replace it, or maybe you won't. The only way to know is to push it back into place and see if it breaks. If it doesn't break, you're done, and it didn't cost you a thing. If it breaks, you have to fix it, but if it can't stay where it is, you have nothing to lose by trying. Just make sure you know where the shutoff for that line is before you try, just in case.

Also, you'll have to remove the paint off of a couple inches of the pipes and get them smooth for the sharkbite fitting to seal, so it might be best to use a chemical paint stripper, rather than trying to sand them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.