DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two cast iron door stops which both vary in quality, one has much more rust and damage than the other (I presume this is from it being left outside for quite some time). During my time off university I have taken it upon myself to restore them to a better quality so that they will look nicer in the garden.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to remove some of the rust without damaging much of the original paint?
I was also unsure as to whether enamel or oil based paints would be best for when I am able to touch up the paint work on the pieces, so some advice regarding that would also be helpful.

Thank you in advance ☺.

· retired painter
14,453 Posts
The rust starts under the paint and it may not be feasible to remove the rust and not the paint. If you post a pic or two we'd better know what you are dealing with.

You want to use a solvent based primer and finish, latex coatings have little rust inhibiting properties.

· Registered
7,552 Posts
The guys are unfortunately correct ... you would be advised to use a wire brush to remove all the rust and loose paint ... maybe all the paint. Do your stores have rustoleum spray paint? They have a formula made for rusty surfaces, it does a good job.

· Registered
8,972 Posts
For contoured surfaces that are difficult to wire brush, a rust dissolver or the tried and true naval jelly may work better than manual removal.

For light surface rust that will be painted over, a rust cover spray paint might be the better option.

You may need both if you don't get to paint it right away after cleaning. Cast iron develops surface rust almost instantly after it's bare, unless you're in a very dry climate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.