DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear sir/madam

i live in iran.in my country over than 90% of our building windows are single frame glass and it causes to waste a lots of energy.i wonder if there is a way to replacde single iron framed glasses to double glass without removing the frame and just with adding one more glass to the previous one.

regards,
ali

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The thickness of insulated glass(up to 1" thick) usually makes it hard to retrofit older frames. What type frames and how thick are they??

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
attaching another pane of glass will likely cause fogging in between the panes. however, you could have thin custom made panes that are sealed properly (gas, vacuum) that might work if you have a good way to attach them, and the frame is thick enough to accept them.
or, if possible in your case, you may consider the sheet plastic that connects to the frame of the window and is stretched tight with a hair dryer to create a second 'pane' and add an air gap between. air is a wonderful insulator. are you trying to keep the area warmer, or cooler?

DM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I was trying to enquire is the way of making double glazed glass in factory and installing it into the same old frames which is normaly made of iron with the thikness of 3 cms (1.2 inches).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not knowing the details of the operation of the window(projecting/tilt turn maybe) another option, if available, would be adding a storm panel to the existing window. Storm windows breath, thus should not be an issue for the exisitng window glass to fog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You would do better to consider creating a "replacement" or "storm" window. These are big business in the U.S.

As far as adding another pane of glass to the existing window, it would be unlikely since you said most of the windows are made of iron, not wood.

You might also try to become a distributor for a company that already makes windows. Companies are always looking for new places to sell their goods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts