DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what I need to purchase from Amazon / Home Depot etc to repair the refrigerator water line on my refrigerator.

If you look at the attached pictures, you can see the side of the connection (red box) where the water appears to be leaking from.

The OD of this hose which connects to the inside of the refrigerator is 5/16". Does anyone know what I need to order from Amazon?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Usually Confused
9,602 Posts
5/16" o/d suggests 3/8" tubing. Assuming that is the part attached to the fridge, the tubing on the left is probably 1/4" which is common for fridge water lines.

It looks to be a crimped fitting.

Assuming you have enough slack, cut the tubing an inch or two from the fitting (about where your o/d text is) and take the fitting to a REAL HARDWARE STORE. they should be able to fix you up. You're looking for something like this:

(3/8" to 1/4" tubing union)

Plumbing fitting Household hardware Cylinder Gas Auto part

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
You can use a compression fitting to repair once you get the proper sizes.
But with vinyl or plastic tubing, you need a brass ferrule inside each plastic tubing to keep from crushing it when you tighten the nuts.
If you have slack enough, cut that fitting out leaving about 1" of tubing on each side and bring it with you.
Personally I would try a plumbing supply store first. You will only need to go there once.
The hardware store "professionals" may not be capable of providing you with the proper fittings.

Household hardware Plumbing fitting Auto part Composite material Engineering

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Usually Confused
9,602 Posts
You can use a compression fitting to repair once you get the proper sizes.
But with vinyl or plastic tubing, you need a brass ferrule inside each plastic tubing to keep from crushing it when you tighten the nuts.
If you have slack enough, cut that fitting out leaving about 1" of tubing on each side and bring it with you.
Personally I would try a plumbing supply store first. You will only need to go there once.
The hardware store "professionals" may not be capable of providing you with the proper fittings.
Forgot about those. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts