DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to repair Rattan Chair Dog has chewed through

181 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Giovani strotckov
My dog chewed through my rattan chair quite extensively. I am wondering if it is possible to repair. I am willing to look at creative solutions which may use different materials and colours as I don't want to throw the chair out.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Wood Outdoor furniture Table Natural material Plant
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Usually Confused
10,573 Posts
Re-caning is a skill. If you want to try it yourself, it would have to be taken down to the frame to remove all the chewed remnants. Unless it has some intrinsic value to you, I think it is toast.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
I love DIY and don't mind repairing something, but that looks beyond repair.

The structure is comprised. Various large missing pieces at the legs and interior. This is not just a matter of glueing, pinning or transplanting some rattan on the surface areas ... the chair needs to be rebuilt, pretty much. And, I doubt you'd be able to salvage much of the existing outer layers, as in my (limited) experience the real stuff is dried out, hardens after building the chair and then cracks when you try to repair something or remove it to put new pieces in. So, then comes the question of fresh materials for the rebuild? Will it be as safe? Look as good?

Even if you find a repair shop, I don't even know if they'd want to tackle it, or at what cost.

Plastic wicker would be a different matter. You can buy rolls of that stuff.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I have never tried to fix a rattan chair but if I had time, I would probably try it.
I would try to find growing bamboo (because it is green and supple) and try to weave it in the correct places. I would leave extra long ends sticking upward because as it drys it might shrink. Then trim them 9 months later.
The chair has appealing design. Fun to fix if possible. Best wishes.

· Usually Confused
10,573 Posts
I have never tried to fix a rattan chair but if I had time, I would probably try it.
I would try to find growing bamboo (because it is green and supple) and try to weave it in the correct places. I would leave extra long ends sticking upward because as it drys it might shrink. Then trim them 9 months later.
The chair has appealing design. Fun to fix if possible. Best wishes.
I'm not that familiar with it but, according to this, Rattan and Bamboo are two different things:

Rattan vs. Bamboo Furniture - What is the Difference? - Sika Design USA

· Registered
16 Posts
My dog chewed through my rattan chair quite extensively. I am wondering if it is possible to repair. Kodi nox I am willing to look at creative solutions which may use different materials and colours as I don't want to throw the chair out.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. View attachment 728216
it looks like you have to get the same wooden robes and rebuild it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts