DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a drywall job done last year and it wasn't that great of a job. I noticed that down near the baseboard are small swirl marks with divets. They are very shallow and people say they don't even notice them unless you really know where they are and look for them. The rest of the walls look pretty good but this area down near the bottom of the wall is like this. Picture attached.

Without going through the whole thing of sanding it, spackling it, and repainting it, and potentially making it look worse, would simply putting paintable caulk in the little grooves and painting over it work?

Or should I just live with it?

Attachments

·
Exterior Construction
26,882 Posts
I think you are going to find that would be about as much work and yeild and less than desirable result.

You can use a clean taping knife and barely skim the area so that no extra compound is left in any areas but the divots.

At that point, you can wipe off the excess with a damp cloth and then touch paint that area. If you put it on thin enough, you won't have to sand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm not very good as spackling, do you think a novice would be able to make it look presentable?

Given that you have seen the picture, do you think it looks bad? It's down near the baseboard so it's not terribly noticeable.

·
retired painter
9,924 Posts
Given it's location it's not bad but if it bothers you .....
It's fairly simple to mud over it and sand it smooth. The hardest part is giving it enough texture so the slick repair doesn't show - and even that isn't difficult.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
You keep saying spackling but please note that we are talking about using joint compound, not spackle.

Are these grooves? They look like ridges to me, which would mean you might get by with a little scraping or sanding and the touching up the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts