DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the original transition strip that went from the carpeted stairs to the unfinished cement floor. I have a new transition strip that will go from my new installed vinyl plank to the carpet.

My question is, how do I remove this old transition strip? Also do I need to remove it? I assume it should not stay. Anything else I should consider or need to think about?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Might want to consider leaving it, depending on the configuration of the new transition. That existing strip covers the cut end of the carpet, and anchors the carpet so it doesnt move.

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Prying it up can be a real bit** depending on how it was attached to the concrete. I've seen them attached with glue, concrete nails, expansion anchors, etc. It might not be fun, but you should be able to pry it up as already suggested. Just have a "Plan B" ready in case it doesn't pry up with relative ease. It looks pretty beat up so I would vote to replace it.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
How think is your new planking?
As mentioned your new transition strip may cover it,
Unless there are fasteners protruding up from under that strip you may be able to pound it down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How think is your new planking?
As mentioned your new transition strip may cover it,
Unless there are fasteners protruding up from under that strip you may be able to pound it down.
I think I am going to attempt to leave it. The planks are thicker at 6.5mm. I purchased new transition strips for it and think it will sit right over it. I think it will be fine. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts