DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved into a home where the previous owners had very foolishly built a DIY front "deck" and fastened it to the concrete walkway with adhesive. After removing this atrocity, I am left with unsightly adhesive all over my walkway and porch. I've tried various methods in hope of removing it, including mineral spirits, adhesive removal chemicals, and blow torch. The torch method works to a degree but is slow and doesn't completely eliminate the adhesive. Can anyone recommend a more effective way of removing this horrible blight from my home? It's embarrassing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might consider the angle grinder with a stiff wire cup wheel.

A knot wire wheel like this

Interesting. That looks promising, and might not result in removing concrete along with the adhesive, which is what I am trying to avoid. It's possible the adhesive may have permanently stained the concrete, at which point I will probably have to paint the porch and walkway with concrete sealer or something that will seal as well as conceal.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Blast it with a shot of propane before using the wire wheel. Propane will freeze it and possibly assist in its removal.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,529 Posts
You also might want to protect that vinyl siding with maybe some thin plywood, held in place by tape. A wire wheel like this would make a mess of that vinyl in short order if you bump into it.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
what a f'n nitemare,,, UNLESS you're real lucky, wire brush/grinder combo's usually rejuvenate adhesive & smear it more,,, wet grind will probably give best results,,, we'd try buffer rpm 1st w/60grit turbo cup wheel,,, vary speed w/controller,,, good luck ! let us know which work'd best = interesting thread

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A sand blaster might be the way to go...you would have very clean concrete too that you could paint and seal or leave as is...this might be a 2-phase process of removing the biggest hunks and portions one method, then the finer pieces thereafter. Either way, it's going to be LABOR INTENSIVE. You could also try a scraper w long handle to remove the majority of it, then try multiple options to remove the final portions [power washing, sand-blasting, etc].

I would also lay down a bunch of 6ml plastic around all the edges so whatever comes off, you are not forever picking it up or having to see it...this is a job you do not want to be reminded of over and over...

As noted, would be good idea to protect all surrounding materials regardless of route you go...let us know how you successfully remove it and what works and what does not?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
'deck crawler' = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aurand-M5-1-115-Volt-Electric-8-Surface-Scaler-/200630009832
aurand's the most popular - avail w/carbide bits tho almost impossible to find anyone who rents them - at least in ga, sc, or nj,,, we're removing 11sf of tile grout,,, piece of cake using scarifiers https://www.ebay.com/itm/STOW-8FP55H-CONCRETE-SURFACE-GRINDER-SCARIFIER-Edco-/142752962044
That's a badaxx looking machine that means "bidness". If anyone has one of these, let me know how it works? I think that could really help remove the oxidized layer of XXXX off of my 1200sqft county wooddeck porch. Probably best w a finer/lighter set of wire brushes...

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
have 3 walk-behind scarifiers & several aurands,,, if they didn't work well, we wouldn't,,, our work's largely conc reprs & coatings,,, don't think wire brushes are avail but possibly

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's going to be difficult. Unless you remove a thin layer of concrete, you re always going to see the where the glue was.

For the entry area, you may just need to grind it smooth and install some type of tile or stone. you could do the same with the rest but it may be easier to just remove it and have new concrete poured.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts