DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Get one of these and it will easily draw the front boards in. Just screw to the joist a couple inches back of the gap. Get about a 6 - 8" x 1/2" carriage bolt, washer and nut.

DTT
Could you describe a bit more where to attached the tension tie to close that gap?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It looks like one of those plagiarism filters applied to excerpts from this article

The ledger board holds up the end of the deck that’s against the house. If the ledger isn’t well fastened, the deck can simply fall off the house. A building inspector we talked with said the most common problem with DIY decks is ledger boards not properly fastened to the house. For a strong connection, a ledger needs 1/2-in. x 3-in. lag screws (or lag bolts if you have access from the inside to fasten the washers and nuts) driven every 16 in. This ledger board was fastened mostly with nails instead of lag screws (and no washers).

Starting at one end of the ledger board, drill two 1/4-in. pilot holes. Offset the holes so the top isn’t aligned with the bottom hole. Then drive the lag screws (with washers) using a drill and an impact socket (you’ll need a socket adapter that fits in your drill). Don’t countersink the screws—that only weakens the ledger board.
Still don't see why that was necessary ...

·
retired framer
47,218 Posts
Guys look at the picture.
It will not pull in until the angle brace is removed.
You can't remove the the brace before the deck has temporary posts to hold it up.
Careful up what you tell some one with out experience to do with out looking at the danger.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guys look at the picture.
It will not pull in until the angle brace is removed.
You can't remove the the brace before the deck has temporary posts to hold it up.
Careful up what you tell some one with out experience to do with out looking at the danger.
View attachment 654566
To me it looks like the post is bowed, that's why the corner is pulling apart. You are probably right that it cannot be corrected with just tension.
I say replace the post with a 6x6 notched on two sides

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Yes I think the bowed post is pushing the corner out, what's causing the post to be bowed? Ground movement? The deck itself has rarely been used.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Yes I think the bowed post is pushing the corner out, what's causing the post to be bowed? Ground movement? The deck itself has rarely been used.
I thought maybe it was the propane tank pushing on it...

But Neal is right, you do need to be careful how you proceed. Setting a temporary post under the beam next to it, and attaching it to the beam, would be prudent before attempting any work. No one should be on the deck until the repair is complete.

·
retired framer
47,218 Posts
I thought maybe it was the propane tank pushing on it...

But Neal is right, you do need to be careful how you proceed. Setting a temporary post under the beam next to it, and attaching it to the beam, would be prudent before attempting any work. No one should be on the deck until the repair is complete.
The beam is not solid you want something under the corner with 2 posts

21 - 32 of 32 Posts