DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One corner of my deck has nails popping out and beam deformed. I want to reinforce this part so that it won't get worse or even collapse. What should do I? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
Fence, truck bumper, shed storage,
97 Posts
did the guys who installed the propane tanks install them with the deck in that condition or has the deck moved since that installation? I’m surprised that if the deck was already that bad they didn’t say anything before they attached their gas line.

Maybe, if you can get a ratchet strap or some kind of force to press against that outer board while you use a hammer to gently persuade it back to its original location, then you could add some kind of additional fasteners or even put a strap around the corner horizontally like a 24 inch Simpson strap bent into a 90° shape. If you use that deck a lot, start saving up to have it replaced. That would be the best.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would get a 0 gauge steel cable with some eye bolts bolted through that outer board and another through the ledger board on the house. Tighten it up with a come along and a turnbuckle until it pulls back together. Then put some carriage bolts through the post and outer rim joist in both directions to tie it together.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yes, you should be concerned.
THIS is proper code approved methods
That rim joist just seems to be sitting on the 4x4 post.. Probably a couple of toe-nails into the post.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
First thing is to strap it, clamp it, or pound it back into place. Maybe even predrill the 2 plies of the beam for some 6" screws (something like these) into the end of the rim joist and try to suck it back with those. You'll likely have to move the tank so that you can plumb the post - it pushed out at the deck because it's pushed in at the bottom, and pivoting over the diagonal brace.

Once you have the gap closed up, what I would do is cut a treated 4x4 block that fits between the top of the post and the underside of the decking and attach it with three 6" about four 4" screws through the rim joist and three 6" screws through the beam plies (predrill the beam plies and rim joist + at least 1" into the 4x4 for these also). Edit: I just realized there are 2 plies to the rim joist also

I'd also add a couple of smaller (#9 x 2 1/2") deck screws through the outer beam ply and the outer rim joist into the post

·
retired framer
47,135 Posts
This is worse than I thought.
The posts need to be changed out for taller 6x6 that can be notch to fit up inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The record barricade holds the finish of the deck that is against the house. On the off chance that the record isn't very much attached, the deck can basically tumble off the house. A structure controller we chatted with said the most widely recognized issue with DIY decks is record sheets not appropriately secured to the house. For a solid association, a record needs 1/2-in. x 3-in. slack screws (or slack fasteners in the event that you approach from within to secure the washers and nuts) driven each 16 in. This record board was affixed for the most part with nails rather than slack screws (and no washers). Beginning toward one side of the record board, drill two 1/4-in. pilot openings. Balance the openings so the top isn't lined up with the base opening. Then, at that point drive the slack screws (with washers) utilizing a drill and an effect attachment (you'll need an attachment connector that fits in your drill). Try not to subset the screws—that just debilitates the record board.

·
Naildriver
12,836 Posts
@Elena Fishchenko I know you aren't from North America, but what is a "record board" and what is a "slack screw"??

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The way it was discussed, seems the "record" board is the "ledger board" over here.
And I bet a lot of people here had concerns about the ledger attachment to the house, which is indeed a high risk connection.
But we have no photos of that area, so nobody here knows if, or if not there is another problem.
Glad OP is getting professional to look at it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts