DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced a peice of rotted subfloor while redoing my shower. How should I go about reinforcing it from underneath? Will a few 2x4s glued to the bottom side at the seams do? Or am I better off fitting a piece of plywood?

Attachments

·
retired framer
46,903 Posts
Anywhere you don't have the T&G a peice of just about anything glued and screwed below the joint does the same thing. We put them in first from above and then drop in the patch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anywhere you don't have the T&G a peice of just about anything glued and screwed below the joint does the same thing. We put them in first from above and then drop in the patch.
Ideally I would have put in a few 2xs before the plywood patch but this is an "after the fact" scenario. Contractor chose to do it this way. Job is done now and I want to reinforce under the patch.

So, just a few 2x4s underneath at the seams would be enough support? Do I need to be careful since there is newly installed shower floor tiles directly overhead. Dont want to crack grout lines etc.

·
retired framer
46,903 Posts
Ideally I would have put in a few 2xs before the plywood patch but this is an "after the fact" scenario. Contractor chose to do it this way. Job is done now and I want to reinforce under the patch.

So, just a few 2x4s underneath at the seams would be enough support? Do I need to be careful since there is newly installed shower floor tiles directly overhead. Dont want to crack grout lines etc.
Glue the surface and screw them in like the 2x6 block on the left or add a second below and screw that up into the flange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts