DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post here on this forum. Thanks in advance. I would like to raise my bathroom floor to meet the rest of the house. This bathroom was added by the previous owner and there is a step down from the rest of the home. My house is already on a slab foundation. I am deciding between poured concrete or using 2x4 to create a floor joist and then plywood, cement board, tile. I have spoken to several people and gotten several answers any info greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. The bathroom will be gutted and 3 walls are exterior block and the middle wall is wood studs with drywall. That middle wall would also be gutted. That was one part I also wasn't sure about if using concrete , I guess somehow block between the studs to make the form. The plumbing I think would be ok just need to be extended up to meet the new floor height. At least this what I think. I live in Miami.

·
Exterior Construction
28,633 Posts
If that is the plan, I would just pour concrete and be done with it. You would be best served by removing that wood wall and installing a form that could be removed and then build the wall on that if you ask me, but with the 3 walls being block and your climate, I would just pour more concrete.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just form it with the appropriate size 2x lumber, demo the toilet flange and install new piping and flange, and fill it with concrete, leaving enough room for your tile and thinset. Leave the 2x4's in there. It is simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts