DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully removed the wallpaper in my dining room that had been there since 1986. Apparently, I did a pretty good job given my first time trying to DIY home stuff. That said, it wasn't perfect. I watched some of the YouTube videos and my damage wasn't as BIG as the ones shown. For example, I don't see as much brown layer of the dry wall. I don't think it is to the point that I need to skim the entire wall. I have small quarter-size little nicks here and there and some screw holes to patch. I plan to paint the entire wall. I'm a newbie and Home Depot is where I shop for these materials.

My questions:
1. Should I use sealing primer and coat the entire wall OR just the small quarter size scratches here and there? And what sealing primer is best to work with? Be mindful, I don't do much Home improvement so price/volume does matter.

2. Is sealing primer the same thing as the primer use before paint? It's going on drywall so do I use latex or oil based?

3. Which all purpose joint compound should I use to top the sealing primer? (Please something not complicated - like I said, I'm a newbie)

4. Other suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
1. Seal any exposed gypsum with Zinsser Gardz.
2. No. Just use a regular latex primer over your repairs. Personally, I would use something from Zinsser again.
3. Regular joint compound is fine - you don't need any of the special products.
4. Buy your paint from a paint store and not a paint department and you should receive better products and advice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yeah, you can just use gardz as your primer for everything on the wall. It doesnt have any build though.... I like to use something with build for a smooth wall paint. 123 would be fine, and its cheap....

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
First coat everything with Gardz. Then spot patch any nicks or holes. Then lightly sand everything (not enough to remove the coat of Gardz, just enough to smooth your patches and any chunks on the wall. The spot coat your patches again with Gardz and you should be good to go. Note: It is very easy for there to be a lot of adhesive on the wall still after removing wallpaper. I would wet and scrape a sample area to make sure you're not getting some adhesive come up. Gardz will help seal it but you don't want to make it difficult. Remove as much as you can first before sealing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts