DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning.

I have the dreaded rotten egg/sulfur smell in my hot water. It was diagnosed as a bad rod in my hot water heater. However, I can eliminate the smell if I change the whole-house water filter every 3-4 weeks. I've been using the el-cheapo ones that should last for months.

Would that suggest the problem ISN'T the hot water heater, but rather an issue with the well water on the whole? I can't wrap my head around why the filter reduces the smell, but for limited times.

Any thoughts?

Additional info: I'm on a well, I'm living solo in the house for 4/7 days during the week for now, so I don't run water that often, and the water tested fine when analysis was run. I smell nothing when running cold water.

Thanks in advance.

·
Master Plumber
1,721 Posts
On more than one occasion we've had to replace the water heater and treat and flush the lines in the house, depends how fare the bacteria has spread through the system. providing it originated at the water heater.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The heater is 15 years old, so that could be the culprit. Like I said, I don't get how the filter can eliminate the smell for a period of time, since I didn't think that was a benefit of them. Though I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
•Flush water heater
•Using a hydrogen peroxide solution of 2 pints 3% peroxide to 40 gallons of water, treat tank and run some of the solution into water lines.
•Let peroxide solution set in tank and pipes for 2 hours. Solution is not toxic and requires no rinsing.
•If problem persists, replace anode with a zinc-alloy anode.
•If problem still remains, replace water heater with a plastic lined tank type.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I'll try the treatment first. I think I'd have trouble replacing the rod due to clearance issues in my basement (tilting the heater to remove/replace the rod) but will give it a shot if needed.

Sounds like all signs point to the water heater ... appreciate the confirmation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.