DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have newer windows and some do not open very far. I have double hung window when opened I measure a height clearance of 12 1/4 inch to get a Window Ac unit in.
But here is the real question, when measuring Height clearance:
1. Do you measure from the very bottom base of the sill to the bottom of the top window for total clearance.
OR
2. Do you measure from the lip that sticks up in the bottom sill of the window and up to the top. I ask because of the clearance changes by an additional 1.5 inch when you include the extra inch to the very bottom of the sill, which is really where the side vents and tracks sit when you install the AC unit.

I already know the back end of the unit will make it through the 12 1/4 measurement from the lip of the sill, but when the manufacturer requires 13 inch clearance, does that count the extra 1.5 inch I have behind that lip?
It is the difference between being able to install one and not, and the smallest unit I can find height wise calls for a 13 inch height clearance.

Already called manufacturer, they were no help.
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 is the exact model I researched

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Most of the window units I've seen sit on the inner lip . But if the controls & the output screen are un obstructed , setting the unit behind it would probably work...……..provided you have a secure support bracket on the exterior .:plain:

You COULD remove (& store) one of the sashes to gain more height………...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts