DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Make a box out of 3/4" ply, whatever size you want, fasten it to the studs. You might want to make the top, bottom edge, sides 1-1/2 or more to improve looks, especially if you want to extend it into the room. Then cover everything in cement board, tape with Kerdi tape, then mud and tile

·
retired framer
59,887 Posts
Or build a box out of 2x3s that fits inside that and put backer on the back of it before you put it in and you will have a 1/2" gap between the niche and the other drywall.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make a box out of 3/4" ply, whatever size you want, fasten it to the studs. You might want to make the top, bottom edge, sides 1-1/2 or more to improve looks, especially if you want to extend it into the room. Then cover everything in cement board, tape with Kerdi tape, then mud and tile
Or build a box out of 2x3s that fits inside that and put backer on the back of it before you put it in and you will have a 1/2" gap between the niche and the other drywall.
I watched on YouTube about using a waterproofing membrane.

Mapei Mapelastic Aquadefense

·
retired framer
59,887 Posts
Yes. But not up to the height of that shelf.
Just checking, it looked like you were working off the floor. :biggrin2:
I think the sealer you mentioned is much like Redgard but I don't know enough about different products to give any advice on them. I have used redgard. Just painted on two coats and tiled over that but, properties have been sold so I can't speak to success or failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.