DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a triplex. We are at the top, with two neighbors downstairs.

We gets cigerrette smoke and weed smoke from 1st and 2nd floor. We smell strongly from the interior stairway, where the 3rd floor enters at 2nd level, and walk up interiorly.

How do I know where are the exact cracks smokes are coming from 2nd floor or 1st floor?

How to/what to use to make 3rd floor airtight?

Easilest way is to stop smoking, I know, but... reality... Please help.

Someone suggested air infiltration test to see how air flows from downstairs to upstairs, but I only found tests for air infiltration to see how air goes in from exterior......

Help.. help...

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
A short-term aid is to point a big fan at the closed door, if that's where it's coming in. And make sure that nothing is pulling air in like a space heater, bathroom fan or small air-purifier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Windows on Wash and Nick333. Both of these will work. If you are looking for a low tech option. Turn off all lights and look at all inbound entry points. Around doors windows etc. If you see light entering, then smoke can enter. Otherwise, since you are between floors you can put in outlet insulation, https://www.lowes.com/pd/m-d-white-outlet-seal-foam-switch-outlet-weatherstrip/1094549?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tah-_-google-_-lia-_-145-_-weatherstripsoftgoods-_-1094549-_-0&kpid&store_code=2853&k_clickID=go_625706834_34613751910_111132559750_aud-299487635210:pla-451489288792_c_9015630&gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT5wfTf7wu1FoIHqJTWuOUYYZTNuoOQokZOGrHh7vsjo4EcXN7rtqGHxoCY4oQAvD_BwE , but this really sounds like it can be a landlord problem.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blow door testing is used to test how air comes in from exterior to interior. The people who does blow door told me they can't test how air goes from one floor to another floor in the building....

·
Contractor/Engineer
599 Posts
Keep your unit positively pressurized using an outside air source.

This sounds as if it's actually a housing/landlord issue if you find the place not livable or threatening to your health.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts