DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2-years new home with home theater 5+1 pre-wired. My agent told me the speaker wires were on the ceiling and can be found easily using a magnet. I tried and no luck. Is there any device i should use in order to locate the speaker wires above ceiling. I know they normally covered by a plain outlet cover on the ceiling. These this home has no plate nor copper wires pop out from ceiling. I thought this is newer way of pre-wiring it. But the problem is how do i locate them. Thank you Pros out there!

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
There are machines that you hook to the wire that puts a tone on it that can be traced from the other side of the drywall.

·
Big Dog
3,565 Posts
What you need is a tone and probe kit. You connect the tone generator portion to the exposed wire and use an induction pick-up to locate the tone at the other end of the wire.

The downside is a quality kit like a Fluke or Greenlee will set you back between $80-$100

There are some kits that can be purchased for $20-$30 but I cannot say how well the induction pick up works especially through a ceiling.

If you know someone in the telephone repair or networking industry, they may be able to help you otherwise you may have to call in a professional which could run the cost of quality tone and probe kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts