DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a commercial grade treadmill that has the following power requirements: 120 Volt/20 Amp Dedicated (NEMA 5-20 Receptacle)

Is there anyway to quickly check to see if I have any 20 amp dedicated circuits. If I need installation I will call a professional--I just want to know what I have before I bring someone in.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I am considering buying a commercial grade treadmill that has the following power requirements: 120 Volt/20 Amp Dedicated (NEMA 5-20 Receptacle)

Is there anyway to quickly check to see if I have any 20 amp dedicated circuits. If I need installation I will call a professional--I just want to know what I have before I bring someone in.

Thanks for the feedback!
Unless there was some special requirement from the past, I doubt if you have a dedicated 20 amp receptacle and in most cases you won't even have 20 amp receptacles. A 120 v 20 amp receptacle will have one slot that looks like a sideways T. If it is a dedicated circuit it would be a single receptacle instead of a duplex.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
to the most basic portion of your question of how do you know if you have a 20 amp circuit:

you look at the breakers in your breaker panel. If there is a "20" on the handle, it's a 20 amp circuit.

as to one being dedicated; almost guaranteed you do not have a dedicated 20 amp circuit. A dedicated circuit of any amperage rating would typically only be installed if needed. Unless the previous owner of the house just happened to need a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the same area you need one, there is not going to be one available for your use.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You probably don't have a dedicated circuit.
I make an electrcal map of every house I buy.
I get a friend with a tester in every plug, and flip breakers till it goes off.
If I blow a fuse, I look at my labels, or blueprint, and I instantly toggle the correct one.

Doing this exercise will let you know if any circuit is dedicated.
Other than refrigerator or specialty appliances like a welder, big tablesaw, treadmill, or window a/c, you don't have a dedicated circuit.

The cheap way to get a dedicated circuit is to find a 20amp circuit with nothing but a couple outlets on it and simply don't use the other outlets when you use the treadmill.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
Unless there was some special requirement from the past, I doubt if you have a dedicated 20 amp receptacle and in most cases you won't even have 20 amp receptacles. A 120 v 20 amp receptacle will have one slot that looks like a sideways T. If it is a dedicated circuit it would be a single receptacle instead of a duplex.
Sorry, we install dedicated circuits all the time with duplex receptacles. For instance, refrigerators.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry, we install dedicated circuits all the time with duplex receptacles. For instance, refrigerators.
Then, unless the Duplex was split, this wouldn't count as a dedicated circuit, as defined by NEC 100:

Branch Circuit, Individual.
A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
Is there anyway to quickly check to see if I have any 20 amp dedicated circuits.
I don't think you understand what a "dedicated circuit" is. All it means is that you have a breaker in your panel that ONLY controls one thing, in this case an outlet that your treadmill will plug into. Since the previous owner did not likely have a high-powered electrical device that required a 20A dedicated circuit, the chances of you having one that is available for use is very low.

·
Super Moderator
22,435 Posts
A NEMA 5-20r has one slot that is sideways. If you don't have any receptacles like that then you don't have the circuit you need.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
How is a duplex receptacle, behind a refrigerator, suppling more than one utilization device?
You must know that the possibility exists for the duplex to be used to plug in a microwave, or anything else that the unlearned may desire.

A dedicated circuit, to me, is one which has a single receptacle.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
You must know that the possibility exists for the duplex to be used to plug in a microwave, or anything else that the unlearned may desire.

A dedicated circuit, to me, is one which has a single receptacle.
I believe your interpretation is wrong, but I understand your thinking.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
does anybody have the NEC on their computer?

If so, please look for anything referring to a "dedicated circuit"

To my interpretation of the term and lacking any direction from the code otherwise, a dedicated circuit is one that is established for a specific use. I often suggest people provide a dedicated circuit to certain areas of a home such as where they will place an entertainment center. I suggest a double duplex or even 2 double duplexes be installed on that dedicated circuit. I know that every time I have installed a dedicated circuit for a fire alarm panel or the phone companies equipment, not only did they not care if there was more than a simplex recep, in the case of the phone company, they require either a duplex or even a double duplex.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Manufacturers love to require 'dedicated circuits'. The NEC does not use the term. The NEC talks about "Individual branch circuits" defined as "a branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment." In english: A circuit with ONLY ONE appliance plugged into it...ever.

Some inspectors will require that individual branch circuits run to refrigerators have only a single receptacle. This is not specified in the NEC.

The NEC 210.21(B)(1) requires that IF a single rec is used then is must be rated not less than the individual branch circuit rating.

So, with ONE rec on a 15Amp circuit you MUST use a 15 Amp rec.
with ONE rec on a 20Amp circuit you MUST use a 20 Amp rec.

Putting a duplex rec on an 'Individual Branch circuit' does not invalidate it as an 'Individual Branch Circuit". Plugging more than one thing into that duplex rec does.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
In my opinion: Manufacturers require so-called 'dedicated circuits' to limit their potential liability when people improperly use high-draw items. Also, in theory, to potentially limit their warranty coverage (BTW, I've never had that problem).... "Oh, your treadmill broke? Did you have it on a 'dedicated circuit'? No. Then we won't warranty it"

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Manufacturers love to require 'dedicated circuits'. The NEC does not use the term. The NEC talks about "Individual branch circuits" defined as "a branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment." In english: A circuit with ONLY ONE appliance plugged into it...ever.

Some inspectors will require that individual branch circuits run to refrigerators have only a single receptacle. This is not specified in the NEC.

The NEC 210.21(B)(1) requires that IF a single rec is used then is must be rated not less than the individual branch circuit rating.

Putting a duplex rec on an 'Individual Branch circuit' does not invalidate it as an 'Individual Branch Circuit". Plugging more than one thing into that duplex rec does.
all right. Have you been studying or did you snark that from somewhere else.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Leah, the biggest reason for the "dedicated circuit" requirement is to rule out interference to or from other equipment on the same circuit. I would doubt it is necessary to have a dedicated circuit for a treadmill. Just don't plug in other sensitive or power hungry equipment into the same circuit.

That being said your best bet for a dedicated 20amp circuit would be a window A/C unit. You are looking for a plug with a t shape on one side, probably just under a window. Which works out good because who doesn't want to workout in front of a window? :thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts

Section 210.21(B)(1) allows a 20 Amp single receptacle on a 15 Amp circuit.

20 Amp outlet is not less than 15 Amp circuit ... :whistling2:

This is the same section that allows a single 50 Amp outlet (range) on a 40 Amp circuit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts