DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start fresh some landscaping in front of my house and get the existing plants out of the way. These are things like azalea bushes and nandina and holly. In my experience, if I just cut off the bush at ground level it just grows back. So I was thinking maybe that you can spray on the leaves to kill it systemically, and then cut it off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to know as well, I'm doing the same thing. I have cut them down as low as I could with a hedge trimmer then been cutting down the roots with a sawsall but its long and takes alot of energy.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add more, I don't need to plant anything in these exact locations, because right now the house has very random plants in very random locations. So it's OK with me if the roots just rot over time. I just need to cut them down to ground level and not worry about them coming back or shooting up sprouts elsewhere (like my crepe myrtles and nandinas seem to do.)

·
Registered
22,789 Posts
Maybe sell them? Or give them away to anyone willing to carefully dig them out? It's a shame to kill them. jmnsho.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cut them off and then spray the stumps with RoundUp or equivalent.
That actually works? It seems like it wouldn't. For example, I cut down some crepe myrtles recently, and the stumps are weeping water (or whatever exactly is flowing through its veins). So my point is, if water is flowing through the plant in an upward direction and leaking out, how can the chemical get into the system?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe sell them? Or give them away to anyone willing to carefully dig them out? It's a shame to kill them. jmnsho.
I already tried to move them myself. Ridiculously difficult. I had to buy 2 separate nandinas to plant somewhere else when I already had these I could have used.

·
Registered
22,789 Posts
I already tried to move them myself. Ridiculously difficult. I had to buy 2 separate nandinas to plant somewhere else when I already had these I could have used.
We have so many Mexican immigrants, it's easy to get help. Lots of hardworking help. So I looked it up. I can't imagine that title here, but here goes 😄

They might possibly take those bushes off your hands!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Cut them off and then spray the stumps with RoundUp or equivalent.
That will not work! Round-Up and other chemicals of that type need to be sprayed on the leaves of a plant so the plant draws in the chemicals. That's how the chemicals work, just bring them on the stump, stems or anything else will not kill the plant!

·
Registered
landscaping, lawn maintenance, screen porch rebuild, bath and kitchen remodeling
99 Posts
glyphosate (roundup) will kill the stumps, but it needs to be the right formula (more than 20% of solution) and it needs to be applied quickly after cutting. It is not fool proof, but pretty good.

the best way would be to dig up the root balls or pull them out.
depending on the stumps you may also want to rent a stump grinder for the afternoon. You can also burn them out with charcoal fires... (the long and smelly way)

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Cut off at ground level and treat the stumps with UNDILUTED Tricofyr, aka Ortho Brush B Gon and other brand names.

It works, I'm the murderer with that stuff.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
I've pulled out dozens of these before with nothing more then my Z Turn lawn mower, for tough ones I use my truck.
I have an eye to eye nylon strap and chain with a slip hook on one end and grab hook on the other just for this.
No way would I ever spend the time to dig them out!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course a stump remover would work, but it's too expensive and/or too much of a hassle for the 10 odd bushes I have, especially since there is no reason I need to remove the stumps and there has to be an easier way to kill them. I've taken a couple large crepe myrtles and I want to plant grass there, so obviously those stumps need to be removed.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Should be done as the tree starts going dormant. Sap going down takes the poison in the roots.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks like an interesting technique for trees, but I'm talking about shrubs. As you can imagine, that's not practical for something like a nandina.

Flower Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've pulled out dozens of these before with nothing more then my Z Turn lawn mower, for tough ones I use my truck.
I have an eye to eye nylon strap and chain with a slip hook on one end and grab hook on the other just for this.
No way would I ever spend the time to dig them out!

Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you describe how to connect to the bush again? I can't really imagine what you're talking about. See my previous photo of a nandina - not sure how to effectively attach to it.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
I just wrap the strap around the bush, slip the eye into the other eye and connect the end to a spring link, any hardware store will have them in the hardware dept., that can then be snapped right onto the hitch on my mower, or if I need more room I can attach it to my chain.
A bush like your showing in that picture I might use my Saw All with a pruning blade to cut into the ground around it to cut off the roots, there's no need to dig.
The harder you pull on that strap the tighter it gets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts