DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Ontario, Canada and gutted our finished basement and will upgrade the insulation.
However, there is one section where the stairs go down into the basement that limits the thickness of insulation we can use. The stairs were built right up against the block. So we only have the 1.5” thickness of the stringer to work with to insulate and drywall.
Previous owner used strapping against block, with 1” rigid foam between strapping, vapour barrier, then drywall.
Need advice on the best solution.

A1E1FBF6-4B07-4E59-99AA-65F4D728EE35.jpeg
126A44B3-5B5F-40D7-8AFD-CF8497B9AB81.jpeg

·
Naildriver
13,425 Posts
You've got a bad situation that will be difficult to insulate. With only 1 1/2" between the cmu and staircase, about all you can do is replicate what the PO had by strapping, XPS and a finished wall.

·
retired framer
49,149 Posts
How wide are the stairs including stringers?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
When I'm faced with a wall like that I will usually do it in 2 layers. A solid layer of 1/2" foam, with 1/2" x 1 1/2" plywood furring on top of that, anchored to the wall 16" on center, with 14 1/2" rips of 1/2" foam between the furring. Then drywall.

It's unfortunate that the stairs weren't spaced out from the wall in preparation for an eventual 2x4 framed and insulated wall.

·
Naildriver
13,425 Posts
Brant's idea would work, giving a solid base for the sheetrock and allow the XPS to butt to each other while being taped at the seams. Not much R value, but good thermal break.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Foam injection into the block while they drill small holes in every core and fill it with foam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
49,149 Posts
According to the tile (if they are 12 x 12, the stairs are 3' or so.
I am living in hope. Well Hope is just 30 miles up the road.
Congoleum® Sensations Sunstone Stone White 14 x 14 Vinyl Tile (20.4 sq.ft/ctn)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
16" cement blocks... 12" tile, the way it looks. You won't be able to finish it according to Ontario strict code on r value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I'm faced with a wall like that I will usually do it in 2 layers. A solid layer of 1/2" foam, with 1/2" x 1 1/2" plywood furring on top of that, anchored to the wall 16" on center, with 14 1/2" rips of 1/2" foam between the furring. Then drywall.

It's unfortunate that the stairs weren't spaced out from the wall in preparation for an eventual 2x4 framed and insulated wall.
This is a great suggestion. I think this will be our best approach. It’s only a small area as the rest of the basement are 2x4 walls front wall is 2x6 (walkout basement).
Yes, the PO misfired when building the stairs and not considering finishing the basement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brant's idea would work, giving a solid base for the sheetrock and allow the XPS to butt to each other while being taped at the seams. Not much R value, but good thermal break.
Would that leave enough room for trim where the drywall meet the stringers?

·
Naildriver
13,425 Posts
Probably not. It would require the sheetrock to be finished well on the bottom and caulked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
16" cement blocks... 12" tile, the way it looks. You won't be able to finish it according to Ontario strict code on r value.
Oh I totally agree. This is pretty much a ‘make do with the hand we’ve been dealt’ situation. Lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have seen a spray on cork product that would cover the wall and provide "some" insulation.

Contact — Jelinek Cork Group® They are in Canada and also have distributors in the USA.

Mike Holmes used it once over stucco on the outside of a house.

You might want to smooth the block surfaces and level the troweled joints first to have a level surface.

The cork application looked really nice. I think they also do pool surrounding flat surfaces that way. It stays cooler in the sun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts