DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing an unfinished closet under the main stairs. I'll use it as a kitchen pantry/storage. I'm building a knee wall to limit the depth since it gets so narrow. Subfloors are red oak on pier and beam. I get a very cold draft during the winter when I stand in front of the staircase, so I want to insulate behind the knee wall. Can I just lay batting back there? Should I insulate and drywall the entire closet before putting the knee wall in place?

·
retired framer
38,184 Posts
I'm finishing an unfinished closet under the main stairs. I'll use it as a kitchen pantry/storage. I'm building a knee wall to limit the depth since it gets so narrow. Subfloors are red oak on pier and beam. I get a very cold draft during the winter when I stand in front of the staircase, so I want to insulate behind the knee wall. Can I just lay batting back there? Should I insulate and drywall the entire closet before putting the knee wall in place?
it doesn't really matter which you start with. If you are feeling drafts, all hole from below should be blocked first,

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
Good luck with that idea, when it gets cold there moving in not out.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
Hi Jill and welcome to the forum.
The natural flow of air into and out of a house in the winter is into the crawlspace and then up through the house, exiting wherever it can. Sounds like your closet area is just a path inbetween.

Since air sealing is a high priority there may be some opportunities while the framing is exposed. Here is a good link that describes all sorts of air sealing options.

Also, if the crawlspace has a dirt floor that needs to be covered, part of the insulating and encapsulating process.

Bud

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jill and welcome to the forum.
The natural flow of air into and out of a house in the winter is into the crawlspace and then up through the house, exiting wherever it can. Sounds like your closet area is just a path inbetween.

Since air sealing is a high priority there may be some opportunities while the framing is exposed. Here is a good link that describes all sorts of air sealing options.

Also, if the crawlspace has a dirt floor that needs to be covered, part of the insulating and encapsulating process.

Bud
Thanks, Bud. I appreciate the link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts