DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shed that we are going to run power out to. Eventually we want to put a couple of flood lights on top of the shed to give light to our pool. The problem is that the shed is a bit too short. I need to get the floods about 1 ½ - 2’ higher. I was going to use PVC conduit. I was thinking of extending the pipe above the shed but I believe PVC cannot support conduit bodies or light fixtures?? Is EMT OK? Strong enough? Will it need its own ground rod? The shed is 15' from the pool.
I’m looking for some ideas. Thank you.

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
here we enter a realm of pool clearances. besides what would work and such, pools add another layer of requirements. I would not use pvc, emt aught to be ok for the weight, but pipe is not allowed as support for anything but the pipe itself.

Lokking to see others ideas

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Saturday Cowboy cover this part and I have few other question to ask ya a well what kind of flood light luminaire it will be??

15 foot from pool edge that may be a borderline but I have to look up the NEC to make sure what they required on that and for support I will NOT use PVC pipe unless it have extra supporting member or use IMC { intermade metal conduit aka med thicked wall conduit } or ridge conduit that part all it depending on the luminaire itself.

And the other issue is the glare if you set up the luminaire wrong.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure of the local code for luminaries and pools but we are required to have a receptacle, GFCI protected, no closer than 6' and no farther than 20'. This receptacle is separate from the pool pumps twist lock receptacle which must be 5' away from pool. So on the side of the shed, 15' from the pool, I wanted to mount a receptacle and from it run power up to the ridge of the shed.

We were simply going to use the basic flood light set up with 2 - 150 watt bulbs.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Why not fasten a 2x4 to the side of the shed and mount the light fixture on that?

Suggest 3 feet of the board against the side of the shed for 2 feet extending above.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not fasten a 2x4 to the side of the shed and mount the light fixture on that?

Suggest 3 feet of the board against the side of the shed for 2 feet extending above.
Will I then be able to use PVC?

I found in the 2008 NEC that 12' above the water line is the required height for luminaries but it only talks about them being at a distance between 5' - 10'??? I don't know if there is a height requirement if they are father away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts