DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning to install one way glass on the exterior windows of my home primarily to reduce some of the heat entering.

The guy who is contracted to carry out the work suggested to install the windows with the mirror finish on the inside so as to prevent outside birds from pecking at their reflection on the window.

Will the orientation of the mirror surface effect the heat reflective property of the window?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The reflective coating reflects the heat back towards the source ... so if you want to reduce heat gain, the reflective coating would need to be on the exterior.

Whether you are using film or actual one one glass, you need to be aware that during the day (while it is brighter outside than in) the glass will look like a mirror from outside and people will not be able to see in. However at night (when it is dark outside and you have the lights on inside) the glass will have the opposite affect, allowing people to see and it to look like a mirror from the inside.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I13A6NO is one way film that I have used in the past on my patio doors. I just made sure to have outside lights above my door while I have the lights on in the living room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts