DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a block of cedar wood which measures 52" x 10" by 4" high that i would like to use for a fireplace mantle.

As it is heavy I would like to hollow it out somewhat to lessen its weight

It will be mounted to plasterboard that has a 1/4" faux rock veneer

I thought I could do it myself by drilling 1" holes in the back but soon found that was a fools errand.

Any suggestions on how to hollow it out to halve its weight or what type of business with the proper equipment can do it?

Any suggestions on how to best mount it?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

· Registered
16,386 Posts
If there is anyone in your area that's done chain saw carving they could have that hollowed in a heartbeat. Well, in short order anyway.

If you lived close to my son he'd build you the floating box from that cedar or trade you better wood, like walnut, oak, or arizona ash for your cedar. The floating bracket to mount it could come in on the deal i'm sure. Those 2 pictured on the wall are floating shelves for a department store.

Attachments

· Registered
11,754 Posts
We mounted our hollow floating shelf with three angle lines. The mantle
slips in snugly and it looks like a solid piece of wood.

I think you would be better off making a hollow mantle, cause I think it
would be costly to get that hunk of wood hollowed out. Your size is good
10” x 4” high...How wide is the FP?

· Registered
628 Posts
Cedar is quite lite weight. But if you think that you must. Use a forstner bit about an inch under the size of the height. A drill press works even better for things like this. You can use a table saw with a dado blade. I would not try to use a chain saw. This needs to be done in a controlled manner.

· Registered
8,150 Posts
My brother used a solid mantle by doweling it to the studs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.