DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made myself a conductive wristband for working with esd sensitive objects and was wondering what to connect the end of the wire to (other them the ground hole in the wall plug and the chassis of whatever i'm working on)

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
A regular purchased static wrist strap just hooks to the device chassis. That's as far as you need to go with it. It's not about grounding the static its about keeping your potential the same as what your working on and preventing a static arc.

Reactions: mpoulton

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
As Andrew says, the "grounding" strap doesn't need to actually ground you. It's really an equipotential bonding strap. You just need to ensure that you are at the same potential as the static sensitive parts. Connecting to the equipment you're working on is all that really matters.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I made myself a conductive wristband for working with esd sensitive objects and was wondering what to connect the end of the wire to (other them the ground hole in the wall plug and the chassis of whatever i'm working on)
I feel that I need to add some cautions here. Since you made your own I'm not sure what that really means. Proper wrist straps have megohms of resistance so you don't electrocute yourself. I would suggest buying a wrist strap....they're not very expensive.

A conductive mat for the bench would be a nice addition if you work with PC boards a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.