DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm adding a porch and am wondering how you frame a roof like on the front porch of this house. It's a cathedral ceiling, but the beam is not supported on the front or doesn't appear to be and there are no collar ties to stop the sides from pushing out. Does anyone have any information on how this would be framed?

http://archadeck.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/front-porch-montgomery-maryland.jpg

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
they could have used rafter ties. a rafter tie is a means of constructing a structurally sound roof without the need of a ridge beam or ceiling joists. basically if you measure from the bird's mouth (where rafter sits on beam) to the ridge a rafter tie would be located in the lower 1/3 of that distance. it is normally installed on the side of the rafters to connect them together and looks like the letter "A". if the rafter tie is located at the bird's mouth we would normally refer to this as a ceiling joist.

you would then frame the barrel vault ceiling using the rafters and rafter ties.

Hope this helps.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Front of the arch is often made of a doubled sheet of 3/4" ply (1 1/2") that is plenty of strength to keep the structure straight----

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Interesting. I'd almost bet that roof would be done with small scissors trusses today.

Reactions: GBrackins

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of the plywood. I'm not too sure if I could get scissor trusses that could spand the 9 feet I have to span but I will look into it.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I like the idea of the plywood. I'm not too sure if I could get scissor trusses that could spand the 9 feet I have to span but I will look into it.
Do you feel it is too short a distance?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I could get Trusses including scissor trusses any size I wanted.
The idea of double 3/4inch plywood for the gable end is good.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
wow, who put all those plumbing vents on the front of that house.
I'll meet you there with a case of Hula Hoops --we can play 'roof top ring toss'---:laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts