DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am building a tiny house. My husband and I are doing it mostly on our own, although in the beginning we got some help from my cousin who is a contractor. In the craziness that was the initial construction, our 3/4" tongue and groove plywood subfloor was installed parallel to the joists and the tongue and groove joints are not all directly over joists. For my 6' 2" 280lb husband, this has caused a problem because the floor bows and creaks all throughout the house. We can't install our flooring until we resolve this problem, but by the time we realized the issue the walls were up and filled with our wiring so we cant exactly rip the floor up from under the walls. My husband's plan is to lay additional 1/2" tongue and groove over the top of the existing subfloor going perpendicular to the studs. Does anyone have any experience with this? and will this fix the problem or do you have other suggestions?

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'm not sure if 1/2" ply will do. It's more than good for overlay over the rough decking, but may not be load bearing. That is, the existing ply is hanging by itself over the joist bays and maybe over 12-13'. I don't know if 1/2" ply laminating will do the job. 3/4" ply with joints landing on the joists will take it back to rule comply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts