DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went nuts last year and decided to dump a lot of salt right where the front door is located last year. This has caused the concrete to spall and I'm trying to get this fixed before winter. I'm not experienced with concrete work, but willing to give it a try. What kind of product do you guys recommend to repair this?

Attachments

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,936 Posts
Sorry to say I know of nothing that you can put out on the edge of the walkway that will last.
Other than tiling the whole area. Mastic can stick to the concrete if properly prepared.

I have never had any luck with concrete patch products and weather.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What kind of product do you guys recommend to repair this?
Concrete resurfacers such as Newcrete. Or add sand to Portland cement to fill in the big spots and then go over it again with a thin coat for looks. Or Cement All might be good. And then probably repeat every few years.

One problem is getting the patch to match the color of the rest of the concrete. Unless you skim coat the entire area.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,970 Posts
That's certainly not any easy fix, at least if you want it to look seamless.

I would assume a lot of the chips are deeper than 1/8", so I'd plan on pre-filling the front, and going over the entire stoop (face included) with a second coat of overlay. Before doing any of that, you'd need to prep the surface correctly (grinding is probably your best bet).

I prefer "Butterfield T-1000 Fine Overlay" for these kind of projects, but I will warn that the material is anything but easy to work with, and it's not cheap, but it will last if done properly.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,399 Posts
The Box store Vinyl re-surfacer looks good the first season, but after one freeze thaw cycle, I have had it POP off and be back to ugly, ugly, ugly.

That is the Quickrete Vinyl patch and resurface stuff.

Usually just wound up sawing out the entire section and repouring it again.

ED

1 - 8 of 8 Posts