DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: Designer didn't measure old structure properly and when the new addition was built there were a lot of discrepancies in framing in the middle of the house. Most of these discrepancies were fixed by framers but they couldn't completely fix the staircase opening so now the corners are not 90 at degrees. Once we put the staircase in, there is now a visible gap that develops from the top of the landing and increases as the wall string runs to the bottom stair landing. The distance between bottom end of the wall string is about 1 inch and top end of the wall string if nice and flush with the drywall. Whatever I put between the wall and the wall string be it a quarter round or a baseboard, you can see the difference in space between top and bottom landing edges of the wall string. The length of the wall is 12 ft. Pic attached.

Only two things come to mind.
#1 add a vertical strip of 1/2 plywood at the middle of the wall and 1 inch strip at the end of the wall. Install 72x48 pieces of drywall on the whole wall. While this may sound like a cheap option I am not sure If this will work as good as it sounds.
#2 hire a trade to put some form of stucco/plaster to make the wall straight. This is a common way in Europe to flatten and correct wall bumps. This may be expensive here in Canada and I wasn't even able to find anything on Google.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
retired painter
9,895 Posts
The odds are once the molding you use to cover the gap is stained/finished or caulked and painted - it won't be near as noticeable. Once you get to your next project you won't be obsessed on the defects of this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts