DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20×25 detached metal garage that I'm turning into a climate-controlled workshop. I'm installing a 36K BTU mini-split A/C. I live in North Central Florida so I will be cooling 9-10 months of the year. I'm gutting this building down to the studs, adding some wiring, and then insulating and running drywall 8' high.

My question is this- since I'm going to be running the A/C full time most months do I need to install a vapor barrier? And if so, what would be the best combination of vapor barrier and insulation.

I'm considering spray foam in the ceiling(underside of the roof) since there's not a lot of wiring up there and it's not getting sheathed but then using fiberglass batts in the walls.

Also, what happens to spray foam if there's a roof look. Will there be a mold infection that I just can't see?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
Fill us in on the basic construction of the building. You say "metal" building, but you mention studs. Is a red iron framing with perlins to hold the metal sheets? Is it a stick built building with metal covering?

Pictures tell it all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fill us in on the basic construction of the building. You say "metal" building, but you mention studs. Is a red iron framing with perlins to hold the metal sheets? Is it a stick built building with metal covering?

Pictures tell it all.
The building is galvanized steel framed with 2.5"x2.5" studs(every 5ft), metal perlins, metal roofing, metal siding, roll-up metal garage door. I'll get some pics up when I go over there today.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There's a YouTube video series - Marshal Remodel/Mad County Build, that I'd recommend you study. He built a metal "Barndominium" to live in and it sounds like it your situation.
His insulation went sour and it illustrated what might go wrong. The insulation was fixed but it must have been a shock.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a YouTube video series - Marshal Remodel/Mad County Build, that I'd recommend you study. He built a metal "Barndominium" to live in and it sounds like it your situation.
His insulation went sour and it illustrated what might go wrong. The insulation was fixed but it must have been a shock.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thank you. I'll check that out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.