DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have a condo build in 1946, complete with yellow and black vintage tile. The shower has a recessed soap dish and I currently need some advice on fixing the grout surround.

The soap dish does not have evenly spaced grout joints; the left side is a normal thin line that matches the rest of the tile work, but the right side is almost .5 inches wide! The grout is missing and needs to be filled. You can see the side of the soap dish as it is recessed into the wall.

I have NO idea how to fill that joint and then place grout over it. I'll add photos this evening or tomorrow AM. I can't get a tile guy out, the job is too small :(

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,460 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a condo build in 1946, complete with yellow and black vintage tile. The shower has a recessed soap dish and I currently need some advice on fixing the grout surround.

The soap dish does not have evenly spaced grout joints; the left side is a normal thin line that matches the rest of the tile work, but the right side is almost .5 inches wide! The grout is missing and needs to be filled. You can see the side of the soap dish as it is recessed into the wall.

I have NO idea how to fill that joint and then place grout over it. I'll add photos this evening or tomorrow AM. I can't get a tile guy out, the job is too small :(

Any help would be appreciated!
I'd try cleaning it out and packing it with relatively dry sanded grout. I think you'll get away with it..... grout now has pretty little shrinkage.

(Let me guess at what probably happened... the original tiler did not install a corner soap dish before tiling and just left what he thought was room to install later.... doesn't fit in a corner.... don't ask me how i guessed...:wink2:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts